New Residents


New Missouri residents must title and register all leased or owned motor vehicles or road trailers in Missouri within 30 days of the date they establish residency.

Two offices serve Independence residents: Hub Shopping Center at 16647 East 23rd Street (252-7557); and Sugar Creek at 521 South Sterling (816-836-9191).

Boat licenses are valid for three years. Licenses for boat motors are a one-time purchase, unless there is a change of ownership.

New residents must apply for a Missouri drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident. A vision test and two forms of identification are required of new residents who have a valid out-of-state drivers license. Any person operating a motorcycle on the public streets and highways of Missouri is required to have a motorcycle-qualified license. To obtain motorcycle qualifications, you must first qualify for a valid driver or chauffeur license and then pass a motorcycle written exam and road test. Helmets are required in Missouri.

For additional information, contact the two local state license offices listed previously.

The City of Independence requires pet owners to vaccinate dogs and cats six months or older annually for rabies. Animals must wear tags identifying them as current on vaccinations. For more information, visit the Independence Animal Shelter at 875 Vista Drive (816-325-7205).

Voter Registration

Independence has 12 permanent voter registration sites. Residents must register by the fourth Wednesday prior to an election. A Missouri driver's license or other type of identification with a signature is required. For information on where you can register, visit or call the Election Board Office at (816) 325-4600.


The City of Independence Power & Light at 21500 East Truman Road (816-325-7930) is the primary electrical provider for the city, serving nearly 60,000 customers. Kansas City Power & Light (471-5275) provides electrical service for Sugar Creek.

Missouri Gas Energy (816-756-5252) serves the area's natural gas needs. For emergency service, call (800) 582-0000, 24 hours a day.

AT&T Telephone Company provides local telephone service. To order or move your home telephone service, call (800) 228-2020. To order or move your business telephone service, call (888) 944-0447 or visit

The City of Independence Water Department at 11610 East Truman Road (816-325-7930), and the Raytown Water Company at 9820 East 63rd Street in Raytown (816-356-0333), deliver water to Independence residents.

Comcast (816-795-1100) delivers cable television services.

Time Warner Cable (816) 325-8833.

Trash and recycling service is provided by private haulers only. Consult your yellow pages to arrange services. The city operates two recycling centers: 35th Street Recycling Center, 13600 E. 35th Street, 64055, open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays; Vista Avenue Recycling Center, 875 Vista Ave, 64056, open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays. For more information about the city's recycling program, call 325-7600. For recycling information, please call Bridging The Gap at (816) 561-1087.


Copyright 2015 - All Rights Reserved - Micronet